Grilled Cheese Tomato Soup
| GRILLED CHEESE TOMATO SOUP | 🧀🍅🥣 Remember when restaurants would top your tomato soup with mini grilled cheeses and everyone thought it was the cutest thing? Well, this is similar minus the bread. I used a type of cheese that maintains its shape when grilled so that you can enjoy each cube of cheese separately. I chose to use Paneer cheese because I had some in my fridge, but this could also work with cubes of halloumi, queso frito, or any other cheese that maintains its shape when heated. Paneer is naturally very low in salt, so when I cook with it, I always add a bit of salt. If you use halloumi or queso frito, you don’t have to salt the cheese because it is already naturally salted. Does that make sense or am I rambling? 🤭 I also opted to add pumpkin puree in order to cut down on some of the acid of a straight tomato soup. However, feel free to use all tomato sauce + a little cream to balance it out.
2 cans pumpkin puree
2.5 cups Raos Tomato Sauce
1 to 1.25 cups chicken broth
4 servings of Paneer(or halloumi), diced
1 tsp salt (2 x 1/2 tsp)
2 handfuls of Spinach
1. Add 1 tbsp avocado oil or ghee to a soup pot.
2. Add diced paneer plus half of the salt(1/2tsp) to the pot and cook until most of the sides are golden brown. If you are using halloumi cheese, do not add additional salt.
3. Once cheese is golden in color, add the pumpkin puree, tomato sauce, broth, 1/2 tsp salt, and black pepper.
4. Bring to a boil, then turn down to low, put a cover on the pot and let simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Add spinach and stir.
6. Divide into 4 bowls and enjoy