Ham Fried Rice
Ham Fried Rice is similar to regular fried rice but it has the special touch of being made with crispy ham and spring vegetables. I love eating seasonally. When vegetables are in season, they are frequently cheaper than they would be at different times of the year. Also, many grocery stores carry frozen asparagus and frozen peas, so this meal is very simple and affordable to make. Oh and I topped this with some crispy pan fried prosciutto, but any ham works well here, especially a smokey one! You can also use pancetta or leftover pork.
How do you make simple fried rice?
Good fried rice should be made with leftover rice. And if you don’t need to cook the rice the day of, then this meal becomes super fast and easy. If you ever have leftover white rice from an Asian restaurant, this is the perfect meal to make. It requires the leftover rice, green onions, veggies, soy sauce, and sesame oil.
What rice is good for Fried Rice?
I like to use Jasmine rice, but any medium or long grain rice would work. Leftover rice is the best to use because there is less moisture and the rice is less sticky.
Ingredients you need to make Ham Fried Rice:
rice, asparagus, green onions, green peas, eggs, ham, soy sauce, butter, and sesame oil. You can also substitute other types of onions or add in some garlic. Alternately, you can substitute prosciutto, pancetta or leftover pork for the ham or omit it completely to make this dish vegetarian. I use butter in this recipe because the flavor is incredible but you can use any high temperature cooking oil that you have. Also, if you like spice, you can try using a chili sesame oil in place of regular sesame oil
If you like this recipe, you may also like:
Vietnamese Meatballs with Cilantro Mint Cauliflower Rice
Ham Fried Rice
- 4 cups Cooked Rice day old leftovers work best
- 3 tbsp Butter (plus a little more) or cooking oil
- 2 Eggs
- 4 oz Prosciutto Optional but recommended. You can also use pancetta or any leftover pork
- 5 Green Onions diced
- 1 lb Asparagus tough ends removed
- 1/2 cup Frozen Peas
- 4 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1.5 tsp Sesame Oil use chili sesame oil if you like a little spice
- If you are making this with prosciutto, cut your prosciutto into peices and add them to a pan on medium heat with a little bit of oil. Once they become crispy, remove them from heat and set aside.
- Heat a little oil or butter in a pan. Scramble eggs and then remove from heat and set aside.
- Chop up your asparagus and onions.
- Add 1 tbsp butter to a large saute pan or wok. Once it heats up, add the majority of your onions and your asparagus. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the butter to the pan, followed by the sesame oil, your rice and peas. Mix well.
- Add the soy sauce to the pan and mix well. Once it is fully incorporated, let it heat up without moving it so that the rice gets a little crispy.
- Once rice crisps up in a few areas, add your scrambled eggs and prosciutto back into the rice and mix.
- Serve and top with remaining green onions.
March 11, 2022 at 12:53 pm
Love those ingredients and to me there’s nothing better than fried rice.