Red, White, and Blue Rice Krispie Treats
“Red, White, and Blue” Rice Krispie Treats!! I had a lot of fun creating this 4th of July 🎆 themed dessert. I am not a baker, so Rice Krispie Treats are the move here, since they are well within my comfort zone! 😋 They are super easy to make, and don’t require an oven, which means they are the perfect dessert for hot days! I wanted to show some festive “red, white, and blue” without the use of artificial dyes so I decided to add some freeze dried strawberries, dried wild blueberries, and some healthier white chocolate!
5 cups of Rice Krispies
10 oz mini marshmallows
7 tbsp butter
1/2 cup roughly chopped freeze dried strawberries
1/2 cup dried wild blueberries
2 ounces of white chocolate for the drizzle
Before you start, add 5 cups of Rice Krispies to a bowl and also grease an 8×8 baking dish.
1. Heat up 7 tbsp of butter in a medium sized saucepan, which is big enough to hold the marshmallows as well.
2. Mix the butter continuously on medium heat until the color starts to darken. When butter get a deep shade of yellow, almost light brown, then add the full package of marshmallows.
3. Lower the heat and mix the marshmallows with the butter, until it gets smooth and creamy.
4. Add the marshmallow mixture to the bowl with the cereal. Incorporate well.
5. Working fast, break up some of the freeze dried strawberries to make them smaller.
5. Mix 1/2 cup of blueberries and 1/2 cup of strawberries into the cereal mixture.
6. Quickly press the mixture into the baking dish. If mixture is sticking to your hands, you can wet your hands with some water.
7. Let the mixture cool.
8. Once it is cool, melt some white chocolate using either a double boiler method or in the microwave checking on it every 10 seconds or so and mix well.
9. Drizzle some white chocolate on top of the rice krispies, followed by more fruit.
10. Let cool and serve