We hosted Allison’s sister for a few days last week, and it was so much fun. My sister in law is a great guest. She helps with our daughter, helps clean up after meals, and will eat almost anything so I don’t really have to worry about meal planning. I had spring break when she visited so I had a lot of time to prepare the food while my wife and her sister took care of our daughter. I made these Feta Meatballs for lunch one day and served them with pita bread, hummus, sliced cucumber, and baba ganoush.
I love any excuse to use ground lamb. I am not as into lamb chops or lamb in any other way, but ground lamb has my heart. It is a great protein to add to some seasoned rice (almost like a biryani), but I also love using it make meatballs. These Feta Meatballs are a variation of my Juicy Lamb Patties, but these are not gluten free because I use breadcrumbs.
What are Greek meatballs made of?
Normally Greek meatballs are made with a combination of beef and lamb. I love using lamb, but any combination of lamb, beef, or pork will make these meatballs delicious. I do not recommend using a very lean ground beef, as you may end up with a dry meatball.
What can I serve this meal with?
I made a full spread with warm pita bread, sliced cucumbers, hummus, and baba ganoush. You can also use warm flatbread instead of pita bread.
If you like Feta Meatballs, you may all like:
- 1 lb Ground Lamb Beef or Pork can be used instead.
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil only necessary if you are using leaner ground beef
- 3 oz Feta Cheese
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 cup Seasoned Bread Crumbs If you use unseasoned bread crumbs, you will have to add 1/2 tsp salt to this recipe. The feta cheese also includes salt which flavors these meatballs.
- 1/4 cup onion chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley minced
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro minced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 Lemon Juiced and seeds removed
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix
- Roll into meatballs. You should make somewhere between 20 and 24 meatballs depending on size.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes